Welcome to Nelson's Wharf
Nelson's Wharf is a peaceful countryside retreat set in beautiful Warwickshire countryside at the heart of the inland waterways with off-line moorings for up to nine narrowboats and main line moorings for three more. All the moorings, except for one of the main line moorings, have adjacent parking, power and water.
The estate also has high specification self catering camping pods. Please visit our sister company, www.podtastic.co.uk for more details.
Since acquiring the land in 2013 we have been busy clearing invasive scrub, repairing the canal bank and restoring an 1870's canal arm along with building some environmentally friendly buildings as accommodation and administrative space.
This is how it looked before....
This is how it looks now....
The wharf is part of a 40 acre estate which used to be the site of the Nelson's Cement Works and quarries which up until the late 1940's produced high quality cement and lime based products. It fell into dereliction until most of the site was demolished in the 1960's. See Nelson's Heritage for more information about the history.
The canal was used to bring in coal to power steam engines and electricity generators and to transport finished goods from the site with their own fleet of steam powered motors and unpowered butties. Later, they also used the L&NWR railway which ran through the works and also had a fleet of lorries.
Although the remains of structures still exist in places, the site has largely reverted to countryside and now also has a Site of Special Scientific Interest, (SSSI). The area is noted for rare butterflies, (such as the Small Blue), and many orchids.
Our intentions over the next few years will be to enhance the SSSI under the guidance of the Warwickshire Wildlife Trust and Butterfly Conservation and to manage the extensive woodlands on the estate which in previous years has been allowed to overgrow out of control. See Nelson's Ecology for more information.